By Daniel Bax
In 2005 I was in peak physical shape and had two flourishing companies. One day, I took a motorcycle for a test ride and rode face first into a catastrophic motorcycle accident that changed my life forever. I escaped the grasp of death four times and had 35 surgeries worth $2.4 million, 34 of them done within the following 36 months after the accident.
When awoken from the coma, I was totally blind, deaf, muted and paralyzed on the left side of my body. This apparently not being enough, I also had wiped clean my memory. I couldn’t remember who I was, who my family was, or even how to scratch an itch on my face. I was a newborn trapped in a 29 year-old man’s body.
On top of all that was happening, I had to relearn everything in life again. Learn how to brush my teeth, how to speak English, how to express appropriately, how to cross the street safely… basically, how to live without getting myself harmed or killed in the process. I had to learn quickly and humbly. This was when I had a choice to make: either mourn the loss of what I had or see what I could do with what I had left and approach life as a new bundle of possibilities.
I have made the choice to live fully with what I had remaining and chose to learn and grow into the man I always wanted to be — A man with integrity and a powerful voice to empower others to live a life of inspiration where they can take advantage of their own potential and create greater possibilities.
You may ask, “How can you just not feel sorry for yourself and not feel bad or miss all you lost?” And the answer is, “What I intend for this life, is what I choose to focus on.” This life is our choice: we can dwell in our losses, mourn and own the pain we may be experiencing, or we can choose to focus, enjoy and celebrate all the possibilities we have and the freedom to make choices. It’s your choice.
I choose to view life as anew and see all the possibilities waiting for me. This is a new life and I can create it as I please. And the great news is that you can too! Believe in yourself and your possibilities.
To accomplish an attitude full of possibilities, the first step is to have a mindset that serves you. When you implement this mindset into your life, things will star happening for you. This is how you create a great mindset:
- Be aware of where your thoughts are taking you. What are you focusing on for the majority of your day?
- Are your thoughts disempowering? Are you focusing on what you don’t have and what you think you will not get? Are your thoughts making you feel weak or sad? Or…
- Are your thought empowering? Are you focusing on what you want and where you wish to be in life? Are your thoughts making you feel strong and creative?
- It is your thoughts that induce the construction of your life. You are where you are because that is what you have paid attention to and think on.
- Check-in with your thoughts constantly to make sure your attention is where it serves you. It serves you when it empowers you to move forward and take action.
- From this moment on, begin to envision what it is you desire on a regular basis. Envision it even when it looks like all odds are against you and what you desire.
- See it as you intend it and hold that thought/image of the outcome present in your mind. Your reality at this very moment is only a checkpoint on the way to the accomplishment of your intention. Have this become the thought that runs through your head regularly: “Your future is altered by your consistent thought.”
“If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.” ~Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Give yourself some credit for what you have accomplished so far and celebrate every single goal you achieve. Make sure to constantly nourish your mind, spirit, emotions and body with unconditional self-love. You have a gift to the world that only you can give. This gift is your strength in life. Find it, love it and live it!
Always remember to…
“Live with Purpose, Give with Purpose.”
Daniel Bax is a BIST member, an inspirational speaker, breakthrough coach and, soon-to-be published, author of “The Life of Your Choice.” Learn more about Daniel at DanielBaxSpeaks.com